Wednesday 28 October 2009

Gianni Schicchi

I got back in time from my voyage round Britain on the QM2 to watch my 11 year old son singing the role of Giardorino in Gianni Schicchi at the Royal Opera House Covent Garden. Small part but huge for an 11 year old; singing alongside Sir Thomas Allen, Maria Berengtsson, Marie McLoughlin et al and conducted by Pappano. I sat there (in the expensive seats!) with my mother as he sang, acted and came on for a bow at the end with tears pouring down my cheeks. He was wonderful and so assured. His voice resonated all round The House and bang in tune. Saw Vasko (legendary concert master of the ROH orchestra) and had a quick chat with him in the interval. I reminded him that the last time I saw him was when we did the Sibelius together. He was stunning then and he's stunning now. Am going to e-mail him for lunch. We met when he used to mentor Vanessa Mae and I used to conduct her. I informed him that Vanessa and I had just worked together in the summer: she was doing her boogeying on down music (as readers of this blog will know, so can I...boogey on down I mean! I should just mention my rendition of Great Balls of Fire). The last time Vanessa and I had met prior to the summer was when she was 12 and we were recording some Mozart. Very different!

No comments:

Post a Comment